give to view

Here’s an interesting new idea:

If you could be arsed to sit through an entire 53 seconds of explanation, it’s a scheme whereby you make a video of something people would want to watch (that might in turn showcase your talents), then you charge people a donation to a charity to watch it.

Sounds like an excellent way to enjoy yourself, impress/entertain others and help the needy.

Where’s the downside?

Comments 13

1. Anonymouse wrote:

The only downside I can think of is that it will die on its arse.

But I hope I’m wrong.

Posted 20 Feb 2013 at 4:27 pm
  2. Mister Gash wrote:

A charity pay wall?

On the other side of which lies content of indeterminate quality?

The www is a show and tell medium. Telling people there’s something good on the other side of the wall and hoping they’ve got the interest and patience to pay to go there?

Good luck with that….

Posted 20 Feb 2013 at 8:04 pm
  3. Damian wrote:

Thanks Anonymouse. Please hope as much as you can.

If you’d like to see which charities have got behind it so far have a look at the site.

Here’s the link:

Posted 20 Feb 2013 at 9:14 pm
  4. bernard wrote:

I think it could work. Will millions of people watch these videos? Probably not. Could potentially thousands of videos be watched by a hundred or so family and friends all giving a fiver or whatever? Yep possibly. Its the opposite of mass entertainment and it’s exactly what the web is for.

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 8:45 am
  5. Johnny Foreigner wrote:

Why would I pay to watch video content online when there’s so much good stuff available for free? I don’t get it.

It’s brilliant you’ve gotten loads of charity’s behind it #3, and I hope you get lots of people uploading videos but I don’t see many people paying to go beyond the pause point – so I don’t rate it as a viable way of raising $$$.

Haven’t a couple of other charity’s tried this before on. Anyone know how they fared?

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 8:50 am
  6. Jim wrote:

Isn’t membership free Damian?

Can’t see why I’d go there over surfing youtube or live leak etc? With a deluge of news and info around today and people won’t pay for 99% of content these days?

Not sure being charitable will be that bigger hook when so many people do other things like direct debits or sponsored runs, wear red noses and so on to support charities.

I think their may well be charity fatigue in England.

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 9:48 am
  7. Damian wrote:

You could always go to youtube to watch stuff but if your nephew created something that he asked for a donation to watch would you bother or would you think, that’s not gonna be worth my hard earned £2? I know I’d opt to support him and the cause he cares about.

Nobody is going to go to GiveToView to browse. That’s why we don’t have a browsing page. The links to the videos go to you, wherever you are.

There are other ways to raise money for charity. This is a new one and it’s much more accessible to everyone which is why charities are interested in it. It might even be the antidote to the fatigue you are referring to.

It is free to be a member but these organizations have agreed to promote it and that represents an investment of faith at least.

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 10:17 am
  8. Daniel GJ wrote:

I don’t see how this is competing with Youtube. It’s a video sent to you from someone you know. It’ll be the personal touch that gets people giving.

Think it’s a great idea and hope it does well.

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 12:09 pm
  9. vinny warren wrote:

i think it’s a great way to raise money from pre-existing audiences. most charities have a base of reliable donors/supporters who already give a shit. this would be a great way of mining them for cash in a novel way.

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 1:06 pm
  10. Reuben wrote:

Really like the idea, but so many barriers for both creators and viewers. Seems like the creators using YouTube donate button along with a call to action in the actual video is a far simpler way to do this.

Posted 24 Feb 2013 at 8:20 pm
  11. Damian wrote:

That’s right. It’s for people who care about a charity to raise money from people who care about them. Other charities are interested in how it can be used with celebrity supporters and their extensive twitter followings.

Not sure why the youtube method is far simpler. You have to make a video for both, upload a video for both, share a video for both and in both you have to fill out some fields in order to make a donation.

Posted 25 Feb 2013 at 12:59 pm
  12. Fraggle wrote:

Great work Damo! Haters be hatin’. Don’t let their negativity drag you down. I wish you all the success in the world for this project.

Posted 26 Feb 2013 at 2:26 am
  13. Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Fraggle. I wish you all the success in the world for yours (even if they are destructive and evil).

Posted 26 Feb 2013 at 9:58 pm