Sweet Red Stripe idea

It’s fun, different  and seems to fit with the brand like peaches and cream.

I’m just a little cynical about filmed reactions of members of the public. I’ve seen so many of these bloody things that I now find it very hard not to doubt the degree to which they are surprised/amused/delighted.

Sorry.

Comments 18

1. vinny warren wrote:

all that was real was the lights in the fridge and maybe some surprise audio.

and, if you’re faking it like this clearly is, the alleged punters were prob just actors (no ugly trolls please) who were told to go into the shop and buy Red Stripe. so their initial reactions are all you can rely on as bona fide. that part was real.

if it was me, the fridge would have magically swivelled around revealing a ska club in full swing and …something, something. And they all get flown to Jamaica the next day. and we document that etc.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 3:03 am
  2. AdamT wrote:

I really hope it’s real. It has tickled me right up. Properly bonkers and a real change from the usual guff that’s out there.

Cue evil posts about the fact that the shoppers are the creative department + their parents and/or dealers.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 9:20 am
  3. Original Richard H wrote:

I might have been less cynical if it were for a different brand. There’s no way that many people bought Red Stripe. It’s horrible.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 9:44 am
  4. twittacam wrote:

vinny stole the words out of my mouth and put them in a much more eloquent order.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 9:49 am
  5. copycat wrote:

wank stripe, more like.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 9:55 am
  6. Butterbean wrote:

I once spent about a month working on a similar (much, much shitter ad).

In my experience, it’s easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, then it is for failed actors to act like real people.

I’m guessing real people, padded out with the occasional agency runner.

That said the spontaneous dancing bit is bollox, obviously.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 10:13 am
  7. KKOutlet wrote:

Just to say, all the reactions are 100% real – no actors.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 10:55 am
  8. Naughty Creative wrote:

Fake and thus, shit.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 10:55 am
  9. Anonymous wrote:

Meh, all this brand experience stuff is a load of cock. What’s the point if they are buying red stripe anyway – it’s just an excuse to make a crap viral and the reactions are just there for the clients. Think kk should have consulted vinny, his sounds like a much better idea and that was probably one he had whilst sitting on the shitter.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 12:12 pm
  10. Ciaran McCabe wrote:

Jealous lot, your readers, Ben.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 12:35 pm
  11. steakandcheese wrote:

Agree with you #9.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 1:07 pm
  12. Ant Melder wrote:

Hi Ben.

This is a lovely piece and definitely real. The shop is down the road from my house and my mum and I went in, not knowing what was going on. We didn’t make it into the finished film but I remember we were both really blown away. It was very well done and we both came out excited about how cool it was. We chatted to a few people outside who agreed with us. Watching the film, I think KK have done a good job of capturing the surprising/fun spirit of the stunt.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 1:56 pm
  13. ben wrote:

Ciaran, there’s a definitely a few up there who have no need or reason to be jealous.

The others? I dunno.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 1:58 pm
  14. vinny warren wrote:

Just so we’re clear, I have nothing against faking it. Everything is contrived to some degree. It’s a charming piece. I just think they could have pushed it further and relied less on reaction shots.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 2:36 pm
  15. William wrote:

It’s like a flashmob ad but with Pringles tubes instead of people dancing innit? Or am I being unfair?

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 2:37 pm
  16. ben wrote:

Great that it was real; not so great that so many of these faked films have made us believe it might not be.

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 4:47 pm
  17. vinny warren wrote:

ben,I think we’re rightly suspicious of advertising that poses as reality. I’ve done things that were 100% authentic and had people question them to a degree i found weird. And some things that have been embellished were greeted as real. I think if you love the idea of the idea you’re more forgiving.

I worked with the hidden camera guys who did Whopper Freakout and they told me that they shot in that BK all day and a lot of the freakout reaction shots were actually people being told that their favorite breakfast sandwich or whatever was discontinued. which makes sense. they weren’t doing a documentary.

Posted 30 Nov 2012 at 12:36 am
  18. dominic wrote:

the stark reality is many of these are rigged, there are even agencies that hire out talent to do the ‘shopping’.

Posted 06 Dec 2012 at 8:14 am